[MPlayer-users] mencoder pal-m

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 08:39:58 CEST 2006

On Apr 3, 2006, at 13.51, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been copying some VHS tapes using mencoder (or watching
> them with mplayer). My system is PAL-M.
>
> If I use an NTSC tape, which is transformed to PAL-M at the output
> of my
> VCR,
> the image is fantastic. However, if the tape has been already
> recorded in
> PAL-M,
> the colors "blink" (every other frame is black and white, and some
> colors
> like red or pink
> are too strong).  Nonetheless to say that on a real TV the image is
> perfect.
> Using either
> xawtv or tvtime the colors do not "blink".
>
> Is there anything I can do to use mencoder/mplayer with good colors
> in this
> case?

Can you give us the command line you use? Perhaps we can find out
what's going on there.

> I am using mplayer cvs version (March 25, 2006) on a Fedora core 4,
> and the
> option below to capture (pixelview card - bttv driver):
>
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1800
>
> Another question. If I try to use xvid or divx, I get a lot of
> frame drops,
> and buffer overflow after a few minutes:

I assume you're talking about recording.

> -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800:me_quality=4:pass=1
> or
> -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=1800 -ofps $FPS -sws 2
>
> With lavc the result is pretty good, though (pentium 4, 2.8 HT, 2GB
> ram).

LAVC is generally preferred over DivX 4. DivX 4 is pretty out of
date, seeing as the latest binaries of DivX is version 6. LAVC also
tends to produce better output quality. However, XviD is preferred
over LAVC in many cases. With your XviD encoding line, you might want
to drop "pass=1" seeing as that was meant for two-pass encoding.