[MPlayer-users] mencoder pal-m

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 12:00:51 CEST 2006

Hi, Kichigai

thanks for the help.

> Can you give us the command line you use? Perhaps we can find out
> what's going on there.

I am attaching the script I use.

> I am using mplayer cvs version (March 25, 2006) on a Fedora core 4,
> > and the
> > option below to capture (pixelview card - bttv driver):
> >
> > -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1800
> >
> > Another question. If I try to use xvid or divx, I get a lot of
> > frame drops,
> > and buffer overflow after a few minutes:
>
> I assume you're talking about recording.

Yes.

> > -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1800:me_quality=4:pass=1
> > or
> > -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=1800 -ofps $FPS -sws 2
> >
> > With lavc the result is pretty good, though (pentium 4, 2.8 HT, 2GB
> > ram).
>
> LAVC is generally preferred over DivX 4. DivX 4 is pretty out of
> date, seeing as the latest binaries of DivX is version 6. LAVC also
> tends to produce better output quality. However, XviD is preferred
> over LAVC in many cases. With your XviD encoding line, you might want
> to drop "pass=1" seeing as that was meant for two-pass encoding.

I know divx4 is obsolete. I was just testing. The only codec I managed to
record from TV on the fly was LAVC.  Without  pass=1 it xvid does not work
at all. After one minute, the recording is stopped (I do not know why). With
pass = 1, at leat it goes ahead, but gives me a lot of buffers overflow
(same thing with divx).

Is it possible to record on the fly with xvid?

/Paulo Roma.