[MPlayer-users] Can't record tv audio

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:19:38 CEST 2006

snd_bt87x is broken in kernels 2.6.13, 2.614, and 2.6.15. They do not create
/dev/dsp2 or /dev/audio2, although the modules are loaded. In kernel
2.6.16they seem to be back, but I did not test. A guy from the alsa
project told
me that this problem is fixed in alsa 1.0.11.rc3, and will be available in
kernel 2.6.17.

I had the same problem you are having now with kernel 2.6.15. I upgraded
mplayer to a recent cvs version (March 25, 2006) and video4linux to a
snapshot from March 30, 2006, and got the sound back in mplayer.  But in my
case, if I used kernel 2.6.14 or below, I  had no problem with mplayer sound
while watching TV. However, my distro is Fedora 4.

If you are compiling the kernel, I think it is easier for you to compile
just the video4linux modules from Mercurial, and update the modules.

/Paulo Roma.