[MPlayer-users] Windows version + WMV video

Chad Kline i18rabbit at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 14 14:15:29 CEST 2006

>>i read a lot about problems with WMV files
>>in posts that were a year old or more, but
>>saw nothing recent.  i have WMV3 and WMV9
>>videos, and only the sound plays on the latest
>>windows version of mplayer.  oddly, i don't
>>have this problem in freebsd 4.x - but i do
>>have the problem in windows98 as follows:
>>(i want to know if these should play, and if
>>so, what i may be doing wrong - one thing
>>i notice is the windows version has no
>>"codecs,.conf" file?  i have tried the
>
>No problem. These days, the functionality of codecs.conf is built in and
>the only reason to have a codecs.conf is if it's from an old version (in
>which case you should remove it) or you really know what you're doing.

>>==========================================================================
>><vo_directx><ERROR>Your card doesn't support overlay
>
>I don't know if this is a problem or not; see below, though.

I don't think this is a fatal error - in searching around for answers,
I have seen others with this error, yet they report video functionality.
>>==========================================================================
>>Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
>>IMediaObject ERROR: 009D1A10  could not open DMO DLL (0x0 : 0)
>>Failed to create DMO filter
>>ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmv9dmod.dll.
>>You need to upgrade/install the binary codecs package.
>>Go to http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html
>>VDecoder init failed :(
>>Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
>>IMediaObject ERROR: 009D1A10  could not open DMO DLL (0x0 : 0)
>>Failed to create DMO filter
>>ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmvdmod.dll.
>
>It looks like mplayer isn't finding wmvdmod.dll. I don't know where your
>Windows build is looking for it, but it's not being found in the expected
>location. Try playing around with that (maybe someone else can tell you
>where it should be) or finding an mplayer build that has the binary codecs
>included.

Yes - to the best of my knowledge (docs are sparse in this area),
the codecs should be in "condecs/" relative to the binary.
I have played MPG and AVI video files, so I assume the
codecs are being located by mplayer.  I do have both
wmv9dmod.dll and wmvdmod.dll.  I also tried copying
them to the \windows\system folder - no difference.

Thank you.