[MPlayer-users] how to repair an mpeg

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 14:27:49 CEST 2006

>Date: On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:31:39 +0200, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
>
>Hi,
>
>I recorded a DVD from a DVD burner.
<snip>
>I ripped it with:
>
>	$ mplayer -dumpstream dvd://
>
>The problem is I have duplicate frames when I try to encode the resulted
>dump.stream. mencoder tells it, I have many duplicated frames.
>One consequence is a shift between audio and video:
>http://www.avidemux.org/pun/viewtopic.php?id=2107
>
>How could I repair it? For example
>
>	$ mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o test.avi file.mpg
>
>What options should I add so that it fire all duplicated frames?

I have not tried it myself, but the video on a DVD is already in MPEG
format, so you do not need to "repair" the file that you ripped.

However, when you are encoding, you should add -vf harddup to your command
line. What you actually want is that the duplicate frames NOT be dropped.
See the manual for details. I do not remember if the harrdup filter is
meaningful with -ovc copy, but you can try it.