[MPlayer-users] mencoder under linux to avi and play under

Thomas Baag toba84 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:19:08 CEST 2006

Hi Jerry,

i never have used mencoder, but i think to know that avi is a
"cross-plattform" containerformat for audio & video data.
the content can be very different (so, that one media-player could
play/decode, but the other don't)
i assume, that "-oac copy -ovc copy" forces mencoder to copy the audio
and video content (encoded) to the avi-container.
maybe the wmplayer don't expects the asf-codec in an avi-file and
therefor say missing codec.

one way to resolve this, is to transcode in something avi-typical
(divx,xvid,ogg,...)
or to safe and use the asf-file instead of an avi (no quality-lose due
transcoding)