[MPlayer-users] fullscreen spanning multiple displays with Xinerama?

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 22:14:30 CEST 2006

On 8/4/06, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:22:13PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > I tried playing with the -xineramascreen option, but all that seems to
> > do is specify which display the movie ends up on, and never forces
> > them to span all 4.
> >
> > If there's some obvious thing that I'm overlooking, I'd be happy to
> > know about it, just tell me what to look for in the documentation,
> > cause I've not found it yet.
>
> man mplayer says:
> > -xineramascreen <-2-...> (X11 only)
> > A value of -2 means fullscreen across  the  whole  virtual display,  -1
> > means fullscreen  on  the display the window currently is on.
>
> If you can't specify these values your MPlayer is too old.

I can specify those values, however they don't work as documented.
Specifying -xineramascreen -2 dumps the movie onto the 2nd display
(only).

I'm using 1.0pre8.  If that is too old, then something seems a bit
wrong somewhere outside of my environment.

> > It has occurred to me that perhaps this is a window manager problem,
> > and if so, please let me know which window mgr(s) are known to work
> > properly, and I'll gladly give them a try.
>
> And two sentences below the above cited:
> > Will  usually only work with "-fstype -fullscreen" or "-fstype none".
>
> "usually" maybe be exaggerated I admit.

I tried
mplayer -fstype -fullscreen -xineramascreen -2 test.mpg
and also
mplayer -fstype none -xineramascreen -2 test.mpg

and neither had any impact.  I still end up with the movie getting
dumped, non-fullscreen, onto the 2nd display.

If I do:
mplayer -fs xineramascreen -2 test.mpg
I get this bizarre full screen effect on the 2nd display, however only
the left half of the movie shows up, and the right half is completely
missing (it doesn't show up on any other display).

> I implemented much of the current xinerama support, and I have been
> using "Fluxbox 0.9.14-gentoo-r1", so that should be somewhat "guaranteed
> to work" if you keep to the hints in the man page.

I haven't tried fluxbox, so I guess I'll give that a whirl next and
report back.  I have tried Gnome, KDE, XFCE & Englightenment.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org