[MPlayer-users] old computer

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 09:28:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 8/7/06, Hulin Thibaud <hulin.thibaud at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I believe that xv is a little best that x11 but it's not enough.

Yes, xv is faster, especially if you watch a movie which needs to be
rescaled on the fly, and especially if you wanna watch the movie in
fullscreen.

> When I type "mplayer -v", I obtain, in the last line :
> vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not inited..
> I don't know if it's normal ?

Probably, yes, as I get it too.

> > My old IBM ThinkPad 240 also has a NeoMagic 128XD and can play back even
> > 640x480 MPEG4 video quite watchably with '-vo xv' but not with '-vo x11'.
> > (It's a Celeron 300, though, so it's a bit quicker. Compiling MPlayer for
> > that specific processor with a recent GCC helps. It's noticeably better with
> > GCC4 than it was with GCC3 on "borderline cases" where it could barely cope,
> > like big DivX videos.)
>
> Interesting ! I do essays with a film in 640x480 (an old Star Trek
> telefilm), on a compiled mplayer 0.99+1pre7try2+cvs20060117 with gcc
> 4.0.3. It's compiled with runtime CPU detection. That mean that my Intel
> Pentium MMX is correctly detected no ?

I'd suggest to build your own package if you can, with no runtime
cpudetection, and disable all the features of MPlayer which you don't
need.

BTW, runtime cpu detection implies: -mcpu=i686 -march=i486 so yes
indeed you would be better off disabling runtime cpudetection.

Guillaume
--
Conditional branch execution in SIMD vector processors are patented! :
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4435758.html