[MPlayer-users] teared animation.

Pawel null7 at wp.pl
Wed Aug 9 16:18:01 CEST 2006

Hallo Jason

Jason Tackaberry writes:
 > On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 10:49 +0200, Pawel wrote:
 > > Hallo I am encoding my dv movies with following mencoder params (deinterlace to 50fps)
 > >
 > > # 1st pass
 > > mencoder -oac copy -fps 50 -ofps 50 -vf tfields=4:1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=1 ff.avi -o 50fps.avi
 >
 > I'd have to see the result to know what you mean by "tearing," but given
 > that you're using tfields I suspect you may be referring to the
 > flicker/twitter that often occurs with that filter.  On the other hand
 > maybe the tearing occurs on playback (you're using vo_x11, say), in
 > which case it has nothing to do with the encoding step.  I'll proceed on
 > the assumption it's the tfields flickering you're unhappy with.
 >
 > I'm getting the impression that when you say animation, you're not
 > actually talking about animation, are you?  If the source actually is
 > animation, you should probably first check for a telecine pattern as
 > most animation is telecined.  Deinterlacing this will hurt quality.
 >
 > Since you say "DV movies" I'm guessing this is stuff you've filmed
 > yourself.  The best full framerate deinterlacer mplayer has to offer is
 > mcdeint, which is a relatively recent addition (so I'm not sure it's in
 > a release yet).  I've been very happy with the quality produced by it,
 > but be prepared to wait 20-30 eons for your transcode to complete.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Jason.

The "tearing" I mean, is NOT caused by bad frame order while deinterlacing. I know that because that is why I changed the order of it with "-vf tfields=4:1". I'll try to describe it a bit better.

First of all, You are right I am trying to encode DV movies filmed with my camcorder.

The "tearing" problem occurs on clips when camcorder was moving. Then the upper part of the image is shifted about 1 centimeter comparing to middle part and the middle part is shifted with another centimeter comparing to bottom part. Of course, this is the example and You can imagine that those upper/middle/bottom parts change dynamically with their size thus creating the effect tearing or as You said flickering/twittering. Is it what You mean?

You also might be right that the problem is with playing movie rather than with encoding it. I am using xv . I just wanted to say that it seems not to be the performance problem, because the degree of flickering/twittering did not change when downgrading from 8Mbps stream to 1Mbps (although quality did:).

I am using mplayer 1.0pre8 (newest from greysector for fc.5). I will check whether this version has it.
Jason, Could You tell me whether mcdeint produces 50fps? Can I first encode it with mencoder and then play it with mplayer (my machine is slow)?

Regards,
Pawel