[MPlayer-users] teared animation.

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Wed Aug 9 14:41:50 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 10:49 +0200, Pawel wrote:
> Hallo I am encoding my dv movies with following mencoder params (deinterlace to 50fps)
>
> # 1st pass
> mencoder -oac copy -fps 50 -ofps 50 -vf tfields=4:1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=1 ff.avi -o 50fps.avi

I'd have to see the result to know what you mean by "tearing," but given
that you're using tfields I suspect you may be referring to the
flicker/twitter that often occurs with that filter.  On the other hand
maybe the tearing occurs on playback (you're using vo_x11, say), in
which case it has nothing to do with the encoding step.  I'll proceed on
the assumption it's the tfields flickering you're unhappy with.

I'm getting the impression that when you say animation, you're not
actually talking about animation, are you?  If the source actually is
animation, you should probably first check for a telecine pattern as
most animation is telecined.  Deinterlacing this will hurt quality.

Since you say "DV movies" I'm guessing this is stuff you've filmed
yourself.  The best full framerate deinterlacer mplayer has to offer is
mcdeint, which is a relatively recent addition (so I'm not sure it's in
a release yet).  I've been very happy with the quality produced by it,
but be prepared to wait 20-30 eons for your transcode to complete.

Cheers,
Jason.