[MPlayer-users] pre8 crashes on "Large H.264 MPEG-4" Hubble .mp4 file

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Aug 23 10:49:57 CEST 2006

I'm taking the liberty to butt in, because I agree with The Wanderer.

On Wednesday, 23 August 2006 at 07:34, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 August 2006 22:29, The Wanderer wrote:
> > This may be desirable in your case, although I'm having a hard time
> > imagining a mail-reading routine which would make it difficult to notice
>
> KMail from KDE. It has no way to understand that this is the reply
> to one of my posts. gmail.com helpfully filters out my posts
> to the lists (i.e. I don't see my own posts), aggravating this.

Use a real MUA, like Mutt for example.

> > vast majority of mailing list replies. (I, for one, would be - and
> > sometimes am - quite irritated to receive a private copy of a message
> > sent to a mailing list to which I am subscribed. At best, a private
>
> Why you are irritated when you get two copies?

Because it's a waste of my time and resources. I'm subscribed to dozens
of mailing lists. Imagine what would happen if everybody started replying
to my mails with two copies.

> > Also, no one removed your address from the reply; it was never there in
> > the first place. This is because of the Reply-To header, which (properly
> > IMO) is set to include the mailing list address when it goes through the
> > list.
>
> But my name IS in the From: field, no?

Yes, but with mailing lists, it is expected that the reply will go to
the list.

> > I can understand your objecting to not receiving a private copy,
> > although it seems odd to me that you would readily fail to notice a
> > response to a thread which you started,
>
> I'm getting 600+ mails a day. Checking all of those for the
> "is this a reply to my thread?" will eat hours.

Then you're not efficient. I'm getting about the same amount and I have
no trouble going through all interesting threads within minutes.

> > but please don't accuse people
> > of doing such things intentionally; even I don't remove names from
> > Reply-To headers without good reason, although I do set Reply-To back to
> > the list so as to prevent replies to the private copy from coming only
> > to me (as I have done in this instance).
>
> I do not accuse people from doing this intentionally.
> It happens automatically when one uses "Reply" instead of "Reply to all".

I use neither. I use List Reply, as I think everybody should.

Regards,
R.

PS. Note that I did acquiesce to your request, but I'm doing it just this
once. This subthread is off-topic and my further replies, if any, will go
only to you.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
oppression to develop psychic muscles.