[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] pre8 crashes on "Large H.264 MPEG-4" Hubble .mp4 file

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 23:22:28 CEST 2006

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> On Thursday 24 August 2006 10:47, Matthias Wieser wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, 23. August 2006 07:34 schrieb Denis Vlasenko:

>>> KMail from KDE. It has no way to understand that this is the
>>> reply to one of my posts.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> Of course Kmail supports email filtering. Just let it put different
>> mailinglists into different folders. Activate tree view (kmail will
>> know that a mail belongs to it's thread even if the subject is
>> changed).
>
> ... and scan all the posts in each folder, right?

No, just all the threads in each folder - a much smaller number.
Actually, you can reduce it further still - all the threads which were
started by you recently enough to be worth noticing, and/or (failing
that because of not receiving copies of your own messages) all the
threads which you posted to recently enough to be worth noticing.

> Currently I have: kernel folder, gcc folder, glibc folder, busybox
> folder, mplayer folder, squid folder, qmail folder, netfilter folder.

Hmm.

I have <checks> nine MPlayer-related lists, four of them high-traffic as
such things go, plus three FFmpeg-related lists, bug-coreutils, and the
FFML - it used to be many more, but most of my other lists have died out
over time. I also routinely read something like ten newsgroups.

I very rarely find keeping up with these to be a particular hardship,
even though I make it policy to at least glance at - if not read
in-depth - every single non-spam, non-blatant-troll post made to every
single one of those lists and newsgroups. For someone who, like
yourself, does not do such an insane thing, keeping up should be much
easier - especially with judicious use of "Mark All Read" after you have
finished reading the interesting selection from each incoming block of
new messages.

> Tomorrow maybe I will need yet another one, for vsftpd.
>
> No, thank you. I prefer to scan only one folder when I am busy:
> "mails addressed to me". The rest may be read when (if) I will have
> some free time.

Your privilege, I suppose, but it still seems like an unnecessary
parsimony to me...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.