[MPlayer-users] glitches in the video

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Dec 1 17:33:45 CET 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:04:01 +0100
"wouter lists" <wouter.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to know how mplayer handles a 24fps xvid movie played a
> 25fps screen.

It outputs the 24fps, and it's up to your videocard to sample that
properly.

> I have the feeling that's missing some frames when playing such a
> movie. You can see it when there is a landscape in the scene and the
> camera goes from left to right. The movement is not 100% fluent and
> there are some hiccups.

It's not synced to the video refresh rate, but that's not "missing
frames".

> It looks like it is using the audio as baseline to keep audio and
> video in sync.

Yes, it sure does.

> Is it correct that it waits a few seconds and then adjust the video to
> the audio?

No, MPlayer isn't adjusting anything.

> Can you tell mplayer to use the video as A/V sync method?

No, and if you did, how do you expect it to magically handle/fix the
audio?

> Or perhaps other ideas?

-speed 25/24

If you card/driver supports OpenGL, -vo gl -vf tfields can improve
the situation somewhat, at least halving the effect, and should work
aproximately like film2pal telecine.