[MPlayer-users] mplayer 1.0rc1 renders MP3 badly when compiled with -fstack-protector

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Dec 4 22:11:42 CET 2006

Hello,
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 12:36:17PM -0800, Dan O'Brien wrote:
> I noticed the mplayer provided by the freshrpms.net site compiled for Fedora Core 6 wouldn't play back MP3s correctly. The output was harsh and static-y.  Freshrpms rpm is based on MPlayer-1.0rc1 so I pulled the source tarball directly from mplayerhq and compiled it.  It worked.
>
> Long story made short, FC6/Freshrpms uses -fstack-protector in their OPTFLAGS setting in config.mak.  When I add that to the mplayerhq generated config.mak file, the resultant mplayer does not render MP3s correctly either.
>
> Compiler bug?  Mplayer bug?  Who can judge?

Using unsupported CFLAGS is a bug, as configure clearly stated.
Apart from that, it's a bug fixed in SVN since quite some time.
There is a reason why we ask people to try SVN before reporting bugs,
would have saved you a bit of time...

> Gcc 4.1.1 seems to be in the approved list for compilation.

Custom CFLAGS are not though. But as it helped fix a real bug it could
be considered a good thing in this case...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger