[MPlayer-users] roughly .25 second delay in playback of avi files

Ben Nemec nemebe01 at luther.edu
Thu Feb 2 07:32:54 CET 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 20:25, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:05:28PM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> >>The problem is, playback of media either encoded by mencoder or
> >>transcode or virtualdub is played back at about a quarter of a second
> >>off, almost always the audio precedes the video.  I played with
> >
> >Even though it is unlikely (an I start looking like bashing ALSA is my
> >favourite - well, maybe it is :-P), try with -ao oss, too.
>
> It is definitely tied to alsa, as oss which is running on top of alsa
> works fine, no desyncs.  So there seems to be some sort of buffer issue
> with the alsa driver.
>
> my card is :
>
>  0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
>                       NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xc8103000, irq 225
>
> This is an nforce4 onboard chipset from the Asus A8N-E.
>
> Though, it's probably not card specific, since aoss works without any av
> sync issues.  Seems that the alsa driver needs some fine tuning in
> mplayer.
>
> If any further info is needed i'd be more than happy to give it.

I'm seeing similar behavior on an nForce4 DFI board.  In my case adding a
delay of .5 seems to resync everything (i.e. mplayer -delay .5 file.avi).  At
first I thought it was because I had MPlayer outputting to dmix, but even
when I force generic ALSA it does it.  OSS works fine.  Is a full bug report
in order or is this not an MPlayer problem?

Oh, I'm currently using 1/23 CVS, but I suppose I should try the latest
version.  I will post back if that fixes the problem.

-Ben