[MPlayer-users] AMR audio decoder as a plugin and plugins in general in MPlayer Was: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 26, Issue 38

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi jlohikos at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 19 18:22:03 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 03:19:30PM +0100, mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
> From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] no sound when play 3gp file
> On Sunday, 19 February 2006 at 08:46, RC wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:33:36 +0700
> > Surachai Locharoen <surachai at prachakij.com> wrote:
> > > video is shown correctly but no sound
> > > available. how to fix it?
> > re-configure mplayer (CVS) with amr codecs enabled.
>
> Hm, maybe I'll write a short howto and add it to the docs.
> Which section should it go into? Codecs or FAQ?

Could Mplayer use gstreamer plugins?

I think there is AMR decoder (libgstgsm.so) in the
gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio software packages (rpm, ...)
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-bad-plugins/html/gst-plugins-bad-plugins-plugin-gsm.html

What is exactly the relation between MPlayer usable plugins, gstreamer
plugins, xmms plugins and myriad other audio/video plugins?
Is there some sensible reason why there cannot be just one kind of
audio and video plugins which could be used across different applications?

Couldn't AMR be made as a MPlayer compatible plugin at least, as it
seems to me this "how to get 3gp audio out"-questions come monthly in
mplayer-users list and so many ppl has to recompile mplayer just to get AMR
decoder inside? 2.5G/3G phones are spreading, so I guess there will be
those questions more and more often in the future. Is there some
compelling reason AMR decodec has to be compiled inside the main code?

Better yet, if MPlayer would support gstreamer plugins.
So much workload could be combined and shared.
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/

I do understand for Mencoder, optimized high quality codecs with all the
options and method choices are very difficult to implement as plugins,
but for decoding and for exotic codecs plugin philosphy sounds the
right way to go.