[MPlayer-users] MPlayer hangs playing 'Sony Pictures' DVDs.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 18:51:43 CET 2006

Reimar Doeffinger wrote:

> Hi, On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:33:46AM +0100, Alexander Roalter
> wrote:
>
>> On the other hand there seems no one interested on this list to
>> implement this feature, I simply got a "don't buy these DVDs" as a
>> response.
>
> AFAIK none of the main developers do have any DVDs that make any
> problems (I know mine all work fine), so there just isn't much that
> can be done.

Plus, some people (including at least one person who is considered a
dev) are most likely of the opinion that buying such discs constitutes
supporting DRM, and that permitting them to be played would encourage
people to buy them, and thus would constitute supporting DRM - and thus
that MPlayer *should not*, as a matter of policy, be able to play such
discs.

I don't know if I entirely agree with that perspective, but I can easily
see the reasoning involved in it, and it does make a certain amount of
sense.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.