[MPlayer-users] MPlayer hangs playing 'Sony Pictures' DVDs.

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Mon Feb 27 19:14:32 CET 2006

The Wanderer wrote:
> Plus, some people (including at least one person who is considered a
> dev) are most likely of the opinion that buying such discs constitutes
> supporting DRM, and that permitting them to be played would encourage
> people to buy them, and thus would constitute supporting DRM - and thus
> that MPlayer *should not*, as a matter of policy, be able to play such
> discs.
>
> I don't know if I entirely agree with that perspective, but I can easily
> see the reasoning involved in it, and it does make a certain amount of
> sense.

One might think so, but I don't see the difference in breaking CSS for
the sake of playing DVDs and implementing a smart VOB cell navigation
for the sake of a) gaining better compatibility with all the fancy
things a DVD can do following the specification and b) playback DVDs
with arbitrary erroneous sectors by simply jumping over them. It is not
as if these DVDs are broken per se (as is the case with some copy
protected CDDAs). And where here DRM should come into play I don't see.
I sure get the idea of DRM, but no bundling to a specific
machine/OS/application is the case here, nor is the data encrypted
(apart from CSS).

cheers,
Alex