[MPlayer-users] Re: 1080i to 1080p mpeg2 or x264?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 02:18:06 CET 2006

On 2/27/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:45:42 -0500
> "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > well I'm trying an mpeg2 encode from a 1080i ts, I don't know if it
> > follows the HDTV "standards" for options, but I am noticing a blue bar
> > along the top of the encode in some scenes. It seems to fade in and
> > out as well. Anyone know what is causing this or how to get rid of it?
>
> It's probably happening because 1080 isn't evenly divisible by 16.  You
> can use -vf expand=:1088

I noticed this too. Whats weird is the source is 1080, but I did
expand=0:-8:0:0 and it fixed it. I finished the mpeg2 encode and got
the file size down from 2.8G to 1.5G and wasn't able to notice a
difference in the quality with a constant q=2.
I'm trying x264 now, but I'm not as familiar with settings for it, so
its mostly default with the q=2 equivalent that the man page showed.
I'm hoping someone has better options for doing 1080p encodes.

--
Steve