[MPlayer-users] Re: 1080i to 1080p mpeg2 or x264?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Feb 28 15:52:59 CET 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:18:06 -0500
"Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed this too. Whats weird is the source is 1080, but I did
> expand=0:-8:0:0 and it fixed it.

Actually, I'd much rather recomend cropping 8 lines instead...  If you
don't like that option for some reason, up-scaling to 1088 should be
much better (effecient) than adding a black bar.

> I finished the mpeg2 encode and got the file size down from 2.8G to
> 1.5G and wasn't able to notice a difference in the quality with a
> constant q=2.

Using a bitrate, and doing 2-pass encoding should always give smaller
files (or better quality for a fixed filesize).

> I'm trying x264 now, but I'm not as familiar with settings for it, so
> its mostly default with the q=2 equivalent that the man page showed.
> I'm hoping someone has better options for doing 1080p encodes.

There aren't any encoding options that are specific to 1080, it's just
like any other video.  Just look up the thousands of other command-lines
people have posted in the past.