[MPlayer-users] Re: 1080i to 1080p mpeg2 or x264?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:05:52 CET 2006

On 2/28/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:18:06 -0500
> "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed this too. Whats weird is the source is 1080, but I did
> > expand=0:-8:0:0 and it fixed it.
>
> Actually, I'd much rather recomend cropping 8 lines instead...  If you
> don't like that option for some reason, up-scaling to 1088 should be
> much better (effecient) than adding a black bar.

I guess thats the problem. Remove data or deal with the encoding
inneficiencies of a black bar at the bottom of the video(or would it
be better to be at the top?)

> > I finished the mpeg2 encode and got the file size down from 2.8G to
> > 1.5G and wasn't able to notice a difference in the quality with a
> > constant q=2.
>
> Using a bitrate, and doing 2-pass encoding should always give smaller
> files (or better quality for a fixed filesize).

I'm willing to give up a little filesize to make sure q=2 for all
frames. From what I've seen all my hdtv streams are encoded at q=2. If
there was a way to have mencoder use the q of the input frame to
encode the output frame at the same q I'd use it, but I can't figure
out a way to do this.

> > I'm trying x264 now, but I'm not as familiar with settings for it, so
> > its mostly default with the q=2 equivalent that the man page showed.
> > I'm hoping someone has better options for doing 1080p encodes.
>
> There aren't any encoding options that are specific to 1080, it's just
> like any other video.  Just look up the thousands of other command-lines
> people have posted in the past.

Well, right, I understand that, what I'm talking about are the fact
that there are lots of options, and depending on whats being encoded
some settings will work better, etc. I'm also assuming that the
standards being discussed in the usage of h264 for HDTV content
(HD-DVD, HDTV over satelite, etc), may have options, etc. that may be
useful if I want to encode to x264 instead of mpeg2.

Though I don't know if the processing time is worth the space trade
off to go to mpeg2 so right now this is more academic for me...

--
Steve