Performance Tuning H264 [Was: Re: [MPlayer-users] howto play apples quicktime movie trailers (720p)]

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jan 10 08:20:00 CET 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:16:38 +0100
Markus Schulz <msc at tastatur-junkie.de> wrote:

> this is significantly slower then -vo xv in my case (FX5900U with
> 1.0-8178 CS Driver). -vf format=bgr24 requires a color conversion from
> yuv to rgb which will be done with software scaler. This results in
> approximately half of the speed.

Strange.  The conversion to BGR16 uses 0% CPU time on my system :-)  I
watch MPEG-2/4 videos with these options, and MPlayer use under 1% CPU
time total.  I haven't looked into the details of why this works so
well yet, but even RGB isn't as fast as BRG for some reason.

I suggest you try all the different formats listed by format=fmts=help,
and check the performance of each.  And make sure your config file or
anything else isn't adding other filters...

> runs perfect. similar speed to -vo xv. only brightness is to high and
> not changeable.

Also very strange,  Brightness, contrast, and saturation are all
adjustable using yuv=1, on my system.

> Sys -> ?

In unix, CPU time is divided up between "user" and "sys" time.  Sys
account for things like disk IO.

> sounds crazy too me. my don't run 1080p smoothly

I don't quite know what you're trying to say here.