Performance Tuning H264 [Was: Re: [MPlayer-users] howto play apples quicktime movie trailers (720p)]

Reimar at mplayerhq.hu Reimar at mplayerhq.hu
Tue Jan 10 14:22:04 CET 2006

Hi,
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:20:00PM -0800, RC wrote:
> Strange.  The conversion to BGR16 uses 0% CPU time on my system :-)  I
> watch MPEG-2/4 videos with these options, and MPlayer use under 1% CPU
> time total.  I haven't looked into the details of why this works so
> well yet, but even RGB isn't as fast as BRG for some reason.

I think this might be due to -dr (if it is supported by the graphics
card). With a fast CPU the YUV->BGR conversion shouldn't be much slower
than the memcpy to the graphics card that is required anyway. One
problem though is that you still need to transfer a lot more data (rgb
frame is bigger) - esp. if you had a PCI/AGP 1x card that could be a
major bottleneck.

> > runs perfect. similar speed to -vo xv. only brightness is to high and
> > not changeable.
>
> Also very strange,  Brightness, contrast, and saturation are all
> adjustable using yuv=1, on my system.

since you are explicitly using RGB color space, that yuv=1 option makes
no difference at all

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger