[MPlayer-users] Default volume?

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Sun Jan 29 00:50:13 CET 2006

Hi all,

I'm using gmplayer, and like to drag'n'drop files from, say, konqueror.
I'm using JACK audio output.

Is there any way that I can reduce mplayer's default audio volume? Each
time that I load a new file into gmplayer, the volume jumps up to 90.91%.

I have some nice active monitors, and would prefer not to damage them. :o)

I could route the audio through a software mixer, but each time mplayer
starts to play a file it starts a new instance of itself.

It also connects itself automatically to my soundcard's first two
outputs. This seems a bit anti-social.

Surely the default JACK behaviour should be not to connect to anything.
Shouldn't it be the user's choice what to connect it to?

Or have I missed an option somewhere? I have looked.

I like to have a little more headroom, as my only volume control after
mplayer is the trim pots on the back of my monitors. My soundcard has no
onboard mixer.

Thanks,
Michael