[MPlayer-users] Possible bug in -vo jpeg and -vo png

Jason Pfeil jason.pfeil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 03:36:10 CEST 2006

RC,

I had tried to use mplayer more often, specifically to recomposite the
JPEGs I was generating into the .m2v elementary MPEG stream for later
mplex-ing.  Actually, I was using mencoder for the recombination
process but it segfaulted repeatedly, just as did jpeg2yuv.  I have
not tried mencoder for recombining the PNGs that I produce now, since
I have this process down pretty good except for this video transition
period.

RC, if your email can handle it, I can send you the .avi file directly
which you can then run my commands against and verify the issue.  I
have no other explanation other than there is a problem with either
the way mplayer handles the transitional frames, or the reencoding
process is also borking the transitional frames.  I will try to use
mencoder "mf://*.png" -mf . . . to recombine the PNG frames and see if
that corrects the problem I have found.

Thank you!

--Jason

On 7/11/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:30:58 -0400
> "Jason Pfeil" <jason.pfeil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All of this works like a *charm*, except when the scene crosses a
> > portion of the DVD which is composed of "black" frames.  It appears
> > that when mplayer is dumping the series of PNG images, it is dropping
> > duplicate frames.
>
> I just tried, and -vo png output 599 frames from a 599-frame
> all-black-frames video.
>
> Do you perhaps have framedrop=yes in one of your mplayer config files
> somewhere?  MPlayer normally doesn't ever drop any frames at all.
>
> BTW, it seems strange that you're using everything from ffmpeg to mplex,
> to  mpeg2enc, while mencoder is probably capable of doing ALL of these
> steps itself.

Jason A. Pfeil
jason.pfeil=at=gmail.com.NOSPAM