[MPlayer-users] Surround Sound issues (Terratec Aureon)

alex at roalter.it alex at roalter.it
Sun Jul 16 12:15:07 CEST 2006

This might not be the correct list to ask this questions, but it's
still worth a try.

Here's the story: This week a lightning strike put my DSL modem and
Router as well as the Mainboard's (A8N-E) 5.1 sound system out of
order. Instead of replacing the entire mainboard, I put a cheapo 5.1
card (Terratec Aureon 5.1 PCI) in the computer, and everything works
almost fine.

But:

if I select hw,2 as alsa output, with 5.1 the system plays at 1/3
speed, whilst with stereo everything plays normal. If I use
surround51,2 instead of hw, it plays at normal speed.

This is one part of the problem.

The other:

If I specify surround51, Stereo only is output at the rear channels,
and not at the front ones.
If I specify hw, stereo is output correctly at the front loudspeakers.

If I specify surround51, 5.1 material is output correctly, but if I
specify hw, again rear and front are switched (and is played at 1/3
speed)

Any ideas at how to correct this problem?

the kernel sound module is snd_cmipci
(the former onboard was snd_intel8x0)

A short overview

    | hw                        | surround51
5.1 | slow, Front/Rear switched | OK
2.0 | OK                        | Front/Rear switched

cheers,
Alex