[MPlayer-users] convert DVD to other region

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 19:18:25 CEST 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 05.55, wim delvaux wrote:

>>> Can anybody point me to or describe me a procedure to convert this
>>> DVD to a
>>> different region (ro region free)
>>
>> That's not what MPlayer or MEncoder do. But, just about any DVD
>> decrypter(sp?) can strip out region data. Some programs, like Mac The
>> Ripper for OS X, will even strip out User Operation Prohibited (UOP)
>> flags (like those that don't let you skip commercials or FBI
>> warnings)
>
> I have ripped these video_ts files to my hard disk and with a
> program on
> windows converted it to region 0.   The problem is that I tried to
> write it
> back to a DVD-R (movie happens to be small enough to fit on a
> single layer
> DVD) with Nero (I was converting on windows so I was available) but
> the
> resulting DVD did not play.  Nero complained before writing about
> inconsistant data or something.

Hmm. This could be going out on a limb, but are you trying this with
a newer DVD released by Sony? Some of those DVDs have a copy
protection mechanism called ARCcOS. If not, did you extract JUST the
movie, and not the menus? If so, your VIDEO_TS folder will actually
have "broken" files that won't fit the DVD spec properly.

If you want to rip just the movie, and not the menus, you'll have to
find a way to rip the movie to a single file, and Nero will have to
demux and remux the file. Fortunately, this process CAN be done with
MEncoder.

mencoder dvd://(inster DVD title number here) -o (output file name
here) -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg

> Now that you speak of NTSC/PAL things could that be the
> inconsistancey where
> NERO referred to ?

No. I don't know of a single DVD that has both PAL and NTSC data on it.

> So is the conversion from NTSC toPAL the reason for the
> failure Because I tried to play the dvd on my laptop (which has a
> region 2
> DVD) and it failed (it even did not say the dvd was the wrong
> region so I
> presume the decrypting was OK).

Wait... how? Did you copy over the VIDEO_TS directory to your hard
disk? Did you burn VIDEO_TS as a data directory onto a data DVD?
Anyway, if you just ripped the movie to a VIDEO_TS directory, and
didn't do menus, that'll be your problem there too.