[MPlayer-users] convert DVD to other region

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Wed Jul 19 03:00:10 CEST 2006

> > I have ripped these video_ts files to my hard disk and with a
> > program on
> > windows converted it to region 0.   The problem is that I tried to
> > write it
> > back to a DVD-R (movie happens to be small enough to fit on a
> > single layer
> > DVD) with Nero (I was converting on windows so I was available) but
> > the
> > resulting DVD did not play.  Nero complained before writing about
> > inconsistant data or something.
>
> Hmm. This could be going out on a limb, but are you trying this with
> a newer DVD released by Sony? Some of those DVDs have a copy
> protection mechanism called ARCcOS. If not, did you extract JUST the
> movie, and not the menus? If so, your VIDEO_TS folder will actually
> have "broken" files that won't fit the DVD spec properly.

No I used a windows tool for it dvddecrypter or smarripper or something.
Anyway the rip ended with a VIDEO_TS folder on my hard disk and lots of vob
and ifo files in it.

I did not ask it to rip ONLY the movies and AFAIK there are small vobs in it
that surely are not part of the movie.  Whether the menus are there or not ...
i do not know ... how can I see this ?

> If you want to rip just the movie, and not the menus, you'll have to
> find a way to rip the movie to a single file, and Nero will have to
> demux and remux the file. Fortunately, this process CAN be done with
> MEncoder.
>
> mencoder dvd://(inster DVD title number here) -o (output file name
> here) -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg

I want to have a dvd that playes in a regular DVD player so I presume I need
to keep the movie as close to the original as possible

> > Now that you speak of NTSC/PAL things could that be the
> > inconsistancey where
> > NERO referred to ?
>
> No. I don't know of a single DVD that has both PAL and NTSC data on it.

I meant making the DVD region free but keeping it as NTSC could that be the
inconsistency ?

> > So is the conversion from NTSC toPAL the reason for the
> > failure Because I tried to play the dvd on my laptop (which has a
> > region 2
> > DVD) and it failed (it even did not say the dvd was the wrong
> > region so I
> > presume the decrypting was OK).
>
> Wait... how? Did you copy over the VIDEO_TS directory to your hard
> disk? Did you burn VIDEO_TS as a data directory onto a data DVD?
> Anyway, if you just ripped the movie to a VIDEO_TS directory, and
> didn't do menus, that'll be your problem there too.

No I asked nero to burn a movie DVD pointing to the VIDEO_TS folder
Menus : How can I check if I got menus in my rip ?