[MPlayer-users] convert DVD to other region

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 03:40:39 CEST 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 20.00, wim delvaux wrote:

>>> I have ripped these video_ts files to my hard disk and with a
>>> program on windows converted it to region 0.   The problem is
>>> that I tried to
>>> write it back to a DVD-R (movie happens to be small enough to fit
>>> on a single layer DVD) with Nero (I was converting on windows so
>>> I was available) but the resulting DVD did not play.  Nero
>>> complained before writing about inconsistant data or something.
>>
>> Hmm. This could be going out on a limb, but are you trying this
>> with a newer DVD released by Sony? Some of those DVDs have a copy
>> protection mechanism called ARCcOS. If not, did you extract JUST
>> the movie, and not the menus? If so, your VIDEO_TS folder will
>> actually have "broken" files that won't fit the DVD spec properly.
>
> No I used a windows tool for it dvddecrypter or smarripper or
> something. Anyway the rip ended with a VIDEO_TS folder on my hard
> disk and lots of vob and ifo files in it.

Never heard of SmarRipper, but I know of DVDDecrypter. Can't give you
a lot of help, though. No Windows to test with. However, this doesn't
rule out ARCcOS encryption being filtered in by Sony. It would help
if we knew more about this disc. Can MPlayer play the DVD?

> I did not ask it to rip ONLY the movies and AFAIK there are small
> vobs in it that surely are not part of the movie.  Whether the
> menus are there or not ...  i do not know ... how can I see this ?

Well, your description probably means that is is a 100% disc copy. If
you could point a DVD playing app to the VIDEO_TS folder, you'll
probably find out.

>> If you want to rip just the movie, and not the menus, you'll have
>> to find a way to rip the movie to a single file, and Nero will
>> have to demux and remux the file. Fortunately, this process CAN be
>> done with MEncoder.
>>
>> mencoder dvd://(inster DVD title number here) -o (output file name
>> here) -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg
>
> I want to have a dvd that playes in a regular DVD player so I
> presume I need  to keep the movie as close to the original as possible

K, so that's not our solution. And we are officially off-topic. This
is no longer an MPlayer issue.

[snip]

> I meant making the DVD region free but keeping it as NTSC could
> that be the
> inconsistency ?

That's not an inconsitency. I've created a few region-free DVDs using
NTSC as my standard, both with and without Nero (back when I had a
PC, that is)

[snip]

> No I asked nero to burn a movie DVD pointing to the VIDEO_TS folder
> Menus : How can I check if I got menus in my rip ?

See above. My advice is, though, you might be better off trying to
find another source of information, given that there's no promise
that anyone around here is going to know too much about the Windows-
centric tools you're using. There are probably forums on the internet
that cater better to your needs.