[MPlayer-users] Copying backup dvds?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 10:40:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 7/19/06, Stefan Sassenberg <stefan.sassenberg at gmx.de> wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:

> >> For a simple copy you can just use
> >> mencoder dvd://<track> -ovc copy -oac copy -o track.avi
> >
> > This will almost never work due to soft telecine and other issues.
>
> Well, it usually works for me, don't know why, but I don't even know
> what soft telecine is.
>
> Anyway, yesterday I tried to follow Guillaume's advice and used "mplayer
> dvd://track# -dumpstream -dumpfile track.vob" to copy a track to disk
> preserving all languages and subtitles. Then I tried "mplayer track.vob
> -alang de" to play it, but it played the original language, not de. How
> can I get my language out of the vob?

AFAIK, DVD vobs dumped as you did loose the language name information.
If you wanna switch between audio/subtitles track, you must use -aid/-sid

Do yourself and the mankind a favor and forget everything about that
abomination that is ogg.
-- Nico Sabbi
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2006-July/061574.html