[MPlayer-users] Re: How to encode an ogg with mplayer?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jul 20 07:18:53 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:16:18PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 10:46:38AM -0700, RC wrote:
> > I think it should be said that Nico, Rich and others, critize ogg from
> > the perspective of someone who  has to write code for it.  As far as
> > users are end-users are concerned, ogg works as well as anything else.
>
> As long as it's audio-only. For Theora + Vorbis in Ogg you're lucky to
> actually find a sample that works properly, including seeking...
> At least that is my experience.

Ogg has lots of practical disadvantages too, like not being able to do
fine-grained seeking, lack of any decent standard for language tags
(so it's hard to have a player auto-select language), poor error
recovery, ... Yes it "mostly works" for audio only files and I
wouldn't flame someone for using it in the case of audio-only with
vorbis audio just because it's the "standard" container for vorbis.
But I also take exception with RC's comments that the brokenness of
Ogg only matters to programmers.

Rich