[MPlayer-users] Best mac / windows format?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Jul 27 10:21:23 CEST 2006

On Thursday, 27 July 2006 at 10:03, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> Nico Sabbi escribe:
> > this will generate an avi with a .mpg extension; moreover the encoding
> > options are very basic,
> > so quality will probably suck until you fine-tune them; in every case
> > the most widespread
> > format is mpeg1, not mpeg2
>
> Also it must be kept in mind that Windows media players don't have
> MPEG-2 enabled by default and that usually a commercial DVD player is
> to be installed so codecs for this format are available.

Or ffdshow.

> Windows Media Player is able to play very few formats without the need
> of downloading new codecs or DirectX filters.
>
> For maximum default compatability I'd go for an Indeo codec if this is
> available on Quicktime.

I'd think mpeg4 asp or even avc decoders are so common nowadays that it
shouldn't be a problem to use them. At worst, the user can install
xvid/ffdshow. There's no reason to compromise quality/size over an
attempt to achieve out-of-the-box playability.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/