[MPlayer-users] NVidia, getting cvidix to work, TV-Out possible?

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Sun Jul 30 16:18:34 CEST 2006

Alexander Roalter <alex at roalter.it> wrote on Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 03:26:14PM +0200:
> Not sure about cvidix, but with framebuffer I also get the picture on
> the TV, so I could play movies directly (and without X, but also with
> X), but unfortunately the output is NTSC (the color component is not
> where the TV expects it...) and my old TV cannot handle NTSC color, so
> it's always B/W. At the moment I have to use the nvidia binary only
> driver, though it is a pain in the ass. Switching back to console won't
> work, and the refresh rates had to be fixed by myself in the config,
> since that crappy driver did only give me 60Hz (@1280x960) (hello! not
> everyone uses a TFT!)
>
> I hope sometimes it will be possible to make use of the TV-Out again
> with OS-Drivers, 3D acceleration is of no use to me.

Hi Alex,

thanks for your input, it actually did help. Seems like I should check
out the framebuffer driver. Which kernel framebuffer driver did you use?
nvidiafb or vesafb maybe? I'm not sure how my TV reacts to NTSC, maybe
I'm lucky (or my nvidia card defaults to PAL). Do I have to set a
special framebuffer modeline? When I start my card in framebuffer mode
my tv just shows weird stuff, no proper picture at all.

Decent docs about writing proper drivers would be nice indeed, allthough
like you I don't have much interest in 3D.

Regards
Sebastian