[MPlayer-users] NVidia, getting cvidix to work, TV-Out possible?

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sun Jul 30 17:02:05 CEST 2006

Sebastian Kemper wrote:
> thanks for your input, it actually did help. Seems like I should check
> out the framebuffer driver. Which kernel framebuffer driver did you use?
Since I currently only use an OpenSUSE 10.0 system, I think it must be
the vesafb driver, since at installation time no graphics card was
known, so I thing it defaulted to vesafb.
> nvidiafb or vesafb maybe? I'm not sure how my TV reacts to NTSC, maybe
> I'm lucky (or my nvidia card defaults to PAL). Do I have to set a
> special framebuffer modeline? When I start my card in framebuffer mode
> my tv just shows weird stuff, no proper picture at all.
Under FB I got good results without doing anything, but under X there
are sometimes problems with FB: multiple images, sometimes
color-separated or something else. And Full Screen did also make some
problems then. Since I'm quite happy (at the moment) with the situation
I did not really delve deep into the whole framebuffer thing.

Another thing still emerged: I have a Twin-View setup (TV-Out mirrors
the entries of the Desktop, but only the upper right 1024x764 pixels.
earlier I had to switch resolutions before starting mplayer in order to
get a fullscreen picture which filled the TV, and not the Monitor. Later
I came to patch mplayer (so I had to specify -vo xv:full=0 to default it
to 1024x768), but with the new version (since pre8) things have changed:
now mplayer per default uses 1024x768 (which is the resolution of the
TV-Out, but the monitor is at 1280x960). So I had to patch it anew.
Still working, though... But it always gives me a bit the creeps when I
have to recompile mplayer, since I have to re-insert these patches
(there's also dvdnav (for sony's new copy protection), which is also a
PITA to patch) and another short patch for automatically calculate the
exact aspect ratio (to find out if a movie is in 2.31:1 or 2.37:1, I
hope you get my meaning). And currently I find it hard to insert x264
and xvid. *grmpf*

But in short time I'll set up the system entirely anew (LFS), and
hopefully with all headers installed properly, all will run smooth
eventually.

> Decent docs about writing proper drivers would be nice indeed, allthough
> like you I don't have much interest in 3D.
Once can still hope, but judging from my experience as programmer with
hardware drivers (SCSI, USB, Motherboard Chipsets) and the current
situation with the drivers (as lately reported by Dave Airlie with the
ATI ones) things don't seem to improve soon :(

cheers,
Alex