[MPlayer-users] Mencoder 20060608 cannot play ".rm"

hob4bit - hob4bit at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 13:47:21 CEST 2006

I had a working MPlayer-1.0pre7try2 installation for some time.  I recently
upgraded to
MPlayer-20060608 to get Xvid 1.1.0 and Tivo support. Between the two events
must have renamed "/usr/local/lib/codecs" back to "/usr/local/lib/win32" to
fix Xine
problems. Why can't MPlayer look at all locations for codecs:

/usr/lib/codecs
/usr/lib/win32
/usr/local/lib/codecs
/usr/local/lib/win32

My problem is solved by just renaming back. For Xine I reconfigure it to
read from
"/usr/local/lib/codecs". For Ubuntu 6.06 I fixed problems by linking:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32

All these different locations of "codecs" is very confusing. It should be
simpler.
Thanks for your help. I have just one remaining problem and that is why
MPlayer encoded XivD movies cannot be played in Windows Media Player
while having XviD 1.1 codec for Windows installed. I have some useful
advice but nothing seems to work.

I suspect that MPlayer encoded XviD fiels do not stick to the Microsoft AVI
standard. MPlayer should not use extensiosn to the AVI format as its a
Microsoft standard.

I am going to try "transcode" if all fails as I heard that it makes "XviD"
that work
in WMP.