[MPlayer-users] Bicubic scaling in vo_gl - does it ever work?

Tue Jun 13 02:24:05 CEST 2006

Hi Reimar D?ffinger!

 On 2006.06.12 at 22:30:25 +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote next:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:25:58PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > On 6/12/06, Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at vm10124.spb.edu> wrote:
> > >OK, more interesting info. I recompiled mplayer in debug mode and found
> > >two things:
> > >1) It doesn't hang. It just becomes really slowwwww.. Like 30 seconds
> > >   per frame or so.
>
> I get the same thing at university, but those are older cards and I
> think they just can't handle it.

Uh..

> > >How come? My system can do over 10k glxgears! Is that scaling shader
> > >THAT slow?
>
> If it is above or near what the limit can do, yes. You haven't mentioned
> which card you have, so I can't tell you what to expect. But if it's
> older than I'd say 2 years, don't expect it to work I'd say.

It's Radeon X1900XT. And don't you dare to call it slow!

Soon I'll have to give this card away and will return X800GTO2. I really
hope it's fast enough for this kind of scaling too.

Anyway, windows players which use shaders for bicubic scalers (e.g.
media player classic, but this feature is present in many of them) are
able to do it perfectly fine even on the good old 9800. And it's almost
three years old.

> My Geforce 5700 is older than that, but nVidia started earlier with this
> stuff...

Well, X1900XT should be about 5 times faster than it in some fancy 3D
stuff. Even if ati linux drivers are crap, it shouldn't be THAT slow.
Something is plainly wrong.

> > Anyway, an update has just been committed to svn, so why don't you try it
> > out?
>
> The generated fragment program looks like he is already using it.

Yes, it's the latest revision.

> And as to -vo gl working with ATI cards, I also have a Radeon 9250 PCI,
> and -vo gl does work with it, though under Linux only without yuv->rgb
> and under windows only with yuv=5 - but this is as expected, it is too
> old.

What are you talking about, -vo gl always worked with ati cards..
Either gl or gl2 had speed problems a long time ago (like, 3 years), but
that was a really long ago.

> Greetings,
> Reimar D?ffinger
>
> P.S. during my efforts to get the ATI card to work properly under Windows,
> I couldn't help but wonder what those people talking about ATI drivers getting
> better meant. They seem to be as buggy and crappy as ever, only in

What are you talking about? Windows drivers are quite good.

> addition nowadays they want to install a pretty useless 50 MB "control
> panel" in addition... well, at least I have (extremely) basic OpenGL

Your mistake. You shouldn't have installed it. If you want to tweak
settings, get ATT (Ati Tray Tools).

--

Vladimir