[MPlayer-users] Bicubic scaling in vo_gl - does it ever work?

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jun 13 09:56:34 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 04:24:05AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
>  On 2006.06.12 at 22:30:25 +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote next:
> > If it is above or near what the limit can do, yes. You haven't mentioned
> > which card you have, so I can't tell you what to expect. But if it's
> > older than I'd say 2 years, don't expect it to work I'd say.
>
> It's Radeon X1900XT. And don't you dare to call it slow!
>
> Soon I'll have to give this card away and will return X800GTO2. I really
> hope it's fast enough for this kind of scaling too.

Yes, should be completely sufficient.

> > My Geforce 5700 is older than that, but nVidia started earlier with this
> > stuff...
>
> Well, X1900XT should be about 5 times faster than it in some fancy 3D
> stuff. Even if ati linux drivers are crap, it shouldn't be THAT slow.
> Something is plainly wrong.

Only explanation I can currently think of is that the driver might
emulate some stuff in software - though I had the impression only nVidia
drivers have this particular "feature"

> > And as to -vo gl working with ATI cards, I also have a Radeon 9250 PCI,
> > and -vo gl does work with it, though under Linux only without yuv->rgb
> > and under windows only with yuv=5 - but this is as expected, it is too
> > old.
>
> What are you talking about, -vo gl always worked with ati cards..
> Either gl or gl2 had speed problems a long time ago (like, 3 years), but
> that was a really long ago.

Sorry for the confusion, this was a reply to the other post.

> > [my rant about ATI drivers]
> What are you talking about? Windows drivers are quite good.

I guess I'm just having bad luck with them (or actually just doing too
weird stuff, like trying to use ATI and nVidia cards in parallel etc.)

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger