[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer directly with a sound device

Nathan Smith nsmith5 at umbc.edu
Mon Jun 19 20:27:16 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I cannot figure out how to output sound directly to a sound device when
esd is not running. I've tried using device /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, and all
the applicable files in /dev/snd. For example, mplayer gives me the
following output when I run it with

sudo mplayer -ao /dev/dsp mywavfile.wav

Building audio filter chain for 8000Hz/1ch/u8 -> 0Hz/0ch/??...
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

(the above output still happens with all the other devices that I tried).
If I just do:

mplayer mywavfile.wav

things work great. System sounds _do_ work when esd is running, so I'm
confused.. what device should I be using? Is outputing sounds directly to
devices a thing of the past (is it usually handled by sound managers now)?
Thanks

Nate

P.S. I'm using an nVidia AC97 soundcard (which is supported under alsa..)