[MPlayer-users] DVD Subtitle issues

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Jun 24 21:32:52 CEST 2006

After the subtitles issue for the Star Wars Episodes 4-6 seems to be
fixed, there's now a problem with the Episode 1-2 (Episode 3 does not
need subtitles for foreign spoken languages in the movie).

mplayer dvd://1 -v
leads to

[open] subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: de
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: de
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: en
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: en
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: de

in the playing of said positions (where some alien language is spoken),
other subtitles appear:

==> Found subtitle: 8:  0.024 ct:  0.172 439/439  8%  1%  6.2% 0 0 49%
0.96x
==> Found subtitle: 9
==> Found subtitle: 10
==> Found subtitle: 11

but 1st, the language information is not correct (tracks 0 and 1 are
english, but the latter with a thinner font), tracks 2 and 3 are german
(we are obviously talking about the german DVD) standard subtitles, with
the latter also in thinner font, 4 and 5 have the desired subtitles in
english, but for some reason I don't understand, it is also mixed wih
the tags for the audio commentary (it always shows up who'd be talking
at the AC track), which shows up now and then. 6 has nothing at all, 7
has the normal subtitles (again), but either there is no force-flag in
it (as it is the same with track 0 and 1) or it is misread. ?!?) 8 holds
again the same as 7, but with the thinner font, 9 and 10 are again the
same in german, 11 and 12 are the same as 4 and 5 (again). THis goes all
the way up to sid 26!

so there must be something wrong, if the same subtitle track gets
selected over and over again.

To make things worse, the title is multi-angle, so there could be more
disturbance (for the opening scroll both in english and german)

I know that in pre7 at least this worked fine... :(

cheers,
Alex