[MPlayer-users] Why won't MPlayer play my DVDs?

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Wed Mar 1 01:41:05 CET 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, RC wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:54:09 -0500 (EST)
> "Andrew A. Gill" <superluser at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>> It keeps suggesting that I read DOCS/HTML/en/dvd.html, but that
>> doesn't help muxh, except  to tell me to get new firmware.
>
> Was mplayer (CVS) compiled from source with css support compiled-in?

Oh.  Huh.  I don't know.  Let me check.  In fact, let me do a
complete rebuild based on current sources.

[...]

OK.  I'm back.  Same trouble.  Lessee:

Checking for sys/dvdio.h ... no
Checking for dvd.h ... no
Checking for BSDI dvd.h ... no
Checking for DVD support (libmpdvdkit) ... yes
Checking for DVD support (libdvdread) ... disabled by
libmpdvdkit2

   Enabled optional drivers:
     Input: ftp network tv-v4l2 tv-v4l edl tv matroska cdda
            mpdvdkit2 vcd dvb
     Codecs: x264 xvid libdv libavcodec real xanim
             faad2(internal) faac libmpeg2 liba52 mp3lib
             libtheora speex tremor(internal) libmad gif
     Audio output: alsa jack esd arts oss sdl mpegpes(dvb)
     Video output: xvidix cvidix sdl gif89a md5sum pnm jpeg png
                   mpegpes(dvb) fbdev caca aa xmga mga opengl dga
                   xv x11 xover tga
     Audio filters:
   Disabled optional drivers:
     Input: vstream tv-bsdbt848 live555 dvdread smb
     Codecs: qtx opendivx amr_wb amr_nb dshow/dmo win32 musepack
             libdts twolame toolame liblzo
     Audio output: sgi sun openal polyp dxr2 nas dsound win32
     Video output: winvidix bl zr zr2 dxr3 dxr2 directx vesa svga
                   ggi xvmc directfb tdfx_vid tdfxfb 3dfx
     Audio filters: ladspa

Clues?

>> But I have no clue how to  install the new firmware unless I use
>> Windows.
>
> Usually there's a dos-based flash tool, which you can put on a
> DOS boot floppy.  DR-DOS boot disks are freely available, as is FreeDOS.

You try running DOS on a non-x86 system (namely, DEC Alpha).

--
| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |