[MPlayer-users] video tv-out rolling

stuart Partridge stuart.partridge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 04:14:15 CET 2006

Fellow Mplayer players,

Have been looking high and low for a solution to this; hope someone can
help.

I am having trouble when I output a movie file from my laptop to my
television. The desktop outputs to the tv just fine, but when I start a
movie file in Mplayer, a sideways 'roll' starts whereby the screen flickers
and repositions itself - desktop and all - a few pixels to the right, with
the shunted section reappearing on the left and joining up to the image. It
seems pretty random; sometimes the image will hold still for 20 seconds or
so and then move five times in a few seconds. It will keep moving until the
movie is stopped, whereupon the image will stop rolling, but with the screen
split into two. The laptop screen is fine while this is happening. Have
tried the television with other machines and it's fine. Have tried other
media players on Linux (eg Kaffieine) and it's fine; suggests the issue is
with Mplayer. I have tried fiddling with codecs and settings (eg -vo x11)
but am having no success.

I'm running Linux Mandrake 10.1 (updated) on older Toshiba Protege laptop
with a video-out (RCA style) to an older analog TEAC tv through a SCART
connector.