[MPlayer-users] Playing multiple video in fullscreen mode

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 19:50:59 CET 2006

RC wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:11:35 -0500 The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> This does always not work correctly, for me, with videos which are
>> of different resolutions; some (I believe "most") of the time, if
>> the new video is of larger resolution than the first, only a chunk
>> of it the size of the first one is displayed, and if the new video
>> is of smaller resolution than the first, bright blue bands are
>> displayed in the formerly blank areas.
>
> I just tested it.  I don't have any problem with videos that are
> larger or smaller.  I do see a bit of a problem when the videos are a
> slightly different aspect ratio... there I get blue bands, etc.
> That is only with -vo xv, though.  With -vo gl (which I normally use)
> everything works perfectly.

Aspect ratio changing does sound like it would fit that half of the
problem. I am in fact using -vo xv, since that appears (by strong
on-list recommendation, a note in the documentation and my own
infrequent benchmarking tests) to be the best method.

I'll have to see what I can determine about files which produce the
"zoomed-in viewport" effect, since that problem may arise via an
entirely different path.

> You can also make the blue bands are black with something like:
>   "-colorkey 0x000000 -vo xv:ck=set"

I remember having experimented with -colorkey, once when I had a set of
files which I had just noticed produced the problem, and having
determined that it did not appear to affect matters in the slightest. I
may not have used (since I do not recall being aware of) the "ck"
suboption; next time I run across the problem, I'll give it a try.

>> If in fact -fixed-vo is supposed to be able to handle multiple
>> videos with different resolutions cleanly even when playing in
>> fullscreen, then I'd like to know what sort of information should
>> go in a proper bug report about this type of problem;
>
> Probably just a few small sample files, the command-line you use,
> some info about your video hardware/Xorg version, etc.  Basically
> enough to reproduce the problem.

I was afraid of that. I'll resume using -fixed-vo routinely, and when I
re-encounter files which exhibit the problem I'll see what I can do.

> Then again, maybe it's not something that is entirely fixable.

That's always possible... but I don't really see why not.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.