[MPlayer-users] Problems accessing DVD

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Mar 17 21:40:57 CET 2006

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to play an unencrypted DVD with Mplayer but I'm having problems

What problems, specifically? Does it hang, does it crash, does it play
gibberish...?

> doing it. I'm using SUSE 10 and I'm using MPlayer-1.0pre7try3-1

I have no idea about that problem, specifically, but in general you
should always compile and try the latest CVS mplayer before reporting a bug.

> Whenever I try one of the following:
> mplayer -v dvd://1
> mplayer -v dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd
> mplayer -v dvd://1 -dvd-device /media/dvdram
> mplayer -v dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/where/I_copied/files_on_HD
>
> ...I get:
> ----------------------------- cut here ------------------------------
> Reading disc structure, please wait...
> *** Zero check failed in ifo_read.c:315
>     for vmgi_mat->zero_3 = 0x00000000010000000000000000000000000000
> libdvdread: Invalid main menu IFO (VIDEO_TS.IFO).
> Can't open VMG info!
> --------------------------- cut here -------------------------------

Also, you shouldn't cut the output of mplayer -- send it in full. If you
don't want to clutter up your message, put it at the end or in an
attachment.

> Mplayer is reaching the DVD as I see the LED flashing...I did my google search
> for it and spent last night on it but couldn't find anything helpful.
>
> The DVD is a custom-mae one (not created by me). It plays fine on PowerDVD on
> Windows so I guess it has a proper structure.
>
> Any ideas anyone? Please throw away anything you might think of...

You can also try this:
$ rm /path/where/I_copied/files_on_HD/VIDEO_TS.IFO
$ mplayer -v dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/where/I_copied/files_on_HD
I have no idea if it'll work.

Other than that, read the bug reporting guidelines and submit a bug report:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html

-Corey