[MPlayer-users] play specified frame range?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 04:27:35 CET 2006

Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2006, at 20.21, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> How can i get mplayer to play a specified frame range, eg from
>> frame 500 to frame 2500?
>>
>> I can see -ss (seek to time) and -sb (seek to byte) but no seek to
>> frame. Also can't see anywhere to specify how long to play for.
>
> Well, the "how long to play for" IS in the documentation, it's just
> not listed as duration in frame. I believe what you were looking for
> is -endpos

You missed the '-frames' option. It does exactly what the original
poster requested, as far as "play a specified number of frames".

However, for technical reasons whose details I don't keep around in my
head very well, seek-to-frame is indeed not available. It's not
theoretically impossible, although it would be processor-intensive; it's
just difficult enough to implement that no one has done so yet.

Since you've indicated elsewhere that your source material is PAL, the
command line for your 'e.g.' would be

mplayer <filename> -ss 20 -frames 2000

which is easily adapted to other values.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.