[MPlayer-users] unable to get any playback (video_out problem?)

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed May 3 05:32:33 CEST 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 20.50, Yevgeniy Medynskiy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu and have compiled MPlayer from sources. I am
> unable to play any movies, however... I have reproduced the output
> of mplayer -v below.
>
> The key seems to be
> =====
> using /dev/fb0
> =====
>
> and then
> =====
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> *** [vo] Exporting mp_image_t, 640x480x24bpp YUV planar, 921600 bytes
>
> FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo).
> =====
>
> Is mplayer supposed to be using the framebuffer device?

Depends. In some situations, yes, but I'm betting not in this case.

> If not, how do I change it? I don't seem to have any /dev/video*
> devices...

/dev/video* devices usually are capture devices.

> I've tried using different -vo options, but nothing seems to do it.

Which options? And what are you using on your display adapter? I
mean, are you in terminal mode? X11? etc.

> Many thanks,
> Eugene

[snip]

> Badly interleaved AVI file detected - switching to -ni mode...
> [libaf] Reallocating memory in module channels, old len = 0, new
> len = 32767
> [ffmpeg] aspect_ratio: 0.000000
> VDec: vo config request - 640 x 480 (preferred csp: Planar 422P)
> Trying filter chain: vo
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> SwScale params: -1 x -1 (-1=no scaling)
> Trying filter chain: scale vo
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> *** [vo] Exporting mp_image_t, 640x480x24bpp YUV planar, 921600 bytes
>
> FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo).

Have you tried remuxing the file?
# mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o output.avi <input.whatever>

That might help, since it seems to be damaged or badly interleaved.