[MPlayer-users] Re: [POOL] Moderate some users (was: Re: [-] Re: divx 6)

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Wed May 3 12:46:51 CEST 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> I don't mind that since it will make this mailing list a better place.
> On the other hand, it will give me more work... I think it's worth it.
>
> Now people, please vote!

I don't want to vote because I have been participating in the affected
threads and the original doom9 codec comparison thread.
I only want to say that i think it is important to compare codecs to each
other - at least if they are as mature as the current mpeg4 codecs (lavc,
xvid,divx,..). Opinions about codecs should be based on actual measurements
(quantitative and qualitative) and not on "historical pseudo common sense".

The doom9 codec comparison is better than nothing - I think it was Corey
that even took very much time to find optimized lavc options.

But why do topics about the quality of a video codec so often result in
flame wars? Maybe it is because quality is a subjective, fuzzy measurement.
Does this mean that it is time for a second objective measurement besides
PSNR which is respected by all developers? Maybe SSIM?
( http://www.google.de/search?q=ssim+video )

Regards,
  Matthias