[MPlayer-users] Significant CPU utilization with >2 channels?

Eric Brundick kernel at spirilis.net
Mon May 8 02:12:58 CEST 2006

(sent from wrong email addy by accident)

Using -ao oss results in no sound (although it does appear to be
playing, maybe the OSS emul. isn't working correctly with 4 channels?)

Hmm... -ao sdl works.  I get sound output and its CPU utilization is
low.  Score!

It looks like -ao sdl results in choppy audio when playing an .AVI, but
when I use -ao alsa with said AVI, mplayer isn't using the CPU heavily like it is when
I'm playing an MP3 with -ao alsa.  Strange, but oh well.  Using
-ao sdl results in good sound when playing only audio (MP3s), but with
low CPU utilization.  I'll just stick "-ao sdl" into my bash alias for
'mp3'.

Thanks!

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 09:46:20AM -0400, Derek put into existance: