[MPlayer-users] OT: Reply-To munging

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Thu May 18 16:42:21 CEST 2006

* The Wanderer on Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 09:07:13 -0400:
> Christian Ebert wrote:
>> <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>
>> <http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html>
>
> I've seen those or their like before, and disagree with them very
> sharply.

I guessed so ;-)

> Discussion forums should behave like discussion forums; a reply
> to a post on a discussion forum should by default go to that forum, not
> to the person who made the post. <continued rant snipped>

Yup. I do this by pressing "L" instead of "r", or I could
configure my client to behave the right way even when I press "r"
but answer to a list ...

> However, this is not the place for that kind of debate, and I apologize
> for having brought it up in the first place; it's just that this is one
> of my pet peeves,

I also like broken threads, top-posting, and and and ... things
that destroy this wonderfully simple means of communicating.

> and I get quite irritated that there's no place I
> could go to argue against it where it would *not* be offtopic - other
> than generic Complain At The World forums (of which there are almost
> certainly a few in the alt.* hierarchy), which would be worse than
> useless.

Off topic or not, you got me thinking and to remove my "private"
Reply-To header, so there's hope: you already got 1 (one) person
listening, heh.

>> <ironic/>
>> No wonder that if the mailing list software treats one like an idiot,
>> one starts to act like an idiot.
>> </>
>
> ...I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you're trying to say
> here.

By adding the Reply-To the list software behaves as if I would be
so dumb as not being able to make the difference between a public
or personal reply. And being patronized as dumb can have the
effect that you actually start to behave in a dumb way. -- But,
as emphasized by dumb markup, I wasn't too serious.

> (Not to mention: I'm not certain, but isn't that bad markup
> syntax?

I am very certain it is bad markup, I'm not into html but into
LaTeX, sorry.

All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed.
No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
- Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho