[MPlayer-users] OT: Reply-To munging

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 18 22:04:16 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 04:42:21PM +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
> By adding the Reply-To the list software behaves as if I would be
> so dumb as not being able to make the difference between a public
> or personal reply. And being patronized as dumb can have the
> effect that you actually start to behave in a dumb way. -- But,
> as emphasized by dumb markup, I wasn't too serious.

This is not going to change; the way it's done on the lists is the
correct and only correct way. The questions is not whether intelligent
users feel like they're beeing treated like they're stupid or not, but
whether intelligent users want to put up with clueless users replying
to them personally over and over rather than replying on the list.

MPlayer has an (informal at least) policy that it is not acceptable to
send off-list personal emails to people unless they've specifically
asked for it. Other places do things differently and that's their
business.

Rich