[MPlayer-users] unable to record sound from TV

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Fri May 26 23:01:09 CEST 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 14.31, wim delvaux wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I have been using the following command with success
>
> mencoder tv:// -msglevel all=9 -ffourcc XVID -quiet -idx -tv
> driver=v4l2:freq=519.25:normid=0:amode=1:volume=90 -endpos 2 -info
> name=test -of avi -o test -ovc lavc -oac lavc  -vf pp=lb -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=50:acodec=ac3:vqscale=4

Well, first off, you can probably ditch the -idx option, as well as -
of avi. They're pretty much implied.

> to record from my TV card which is plugged in into my sound card on
> the
> line-in
>
> The strange thing is that I *can* hear audio over my speakers so the
> connection must be OK.
>
> mencoder says :
>
> Audio : no sound.
>
> Now what does that ACTUALLY mean ?

MENcoder isn't getting any sound input.

> It cannot open the sound card ?

No, there just isn't any sound.

> the sound card does not support recording

No, I'm sure your sound card does.

> the sound card is not enabled to do recording

No.

> AFAIK all mixer settings for recording are OK.
>
> Suggestions on how to solve this are welcome

Try -tv adevice=(whatever).

The MAN page will tell you how to handle this, depending on whether
you're using ALSA or OSS. ;)